Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Moods in Modes


I have trouble learning what they called modes on the guitar, i know they are essential in my playing simply because i don't want to sound like the others cause i ran out of cool things that others can't do. So i came across the word modes in guitar playing. I know i was to apply while playing through changes in a Jazz concept and i learn and memorized the names and fingering and octaves on the fretboard but i failed to understand them. I somply don't know what to you with them.

I tried so many ways learning them, with Frank Gambale's Modes no more Mystery . It became worst. After 2 years of study i decided to drop them modes and would just play solo's with the major and minor scales that i knew. Frankly , i felt bad. Every time when someone ask me about modes i felt my heart crying that i failed to understand them. Well, as always my desire kept me facing my failures. I decided to learn again, i say to myself " I will use up all the ways that end up won't work and then i'll find out the ways that will behind" inspired by Thomas Edison's Quote.

I soon discovered that the modes are in the major scales , they share all the same notes. SO what the heck that made them different? This time i'm investigating rather than learning what is given. Modes are about moods. Each modes gives you a different emotion when played. Ah ha...
Now i'm beginning to see the purpose of modes.

The overall mode of one gives you a different story. Lydian is mysterious , Ionian is happy and bright, Dorian is lazy and after that i completely understand the whole concept of modes in a snap.


Playing music is about expressing oneself, i failed to be sensitive on my musical side yet i uses my way of learning in academics to understand it. Music is natural, what you feel is music.

Cheers....!

No comments:

Post a Comment